Wednesday 4 September 2013

DOWN TOWN


I was driving between clients the other day and started thinking about shops. Now, you may be thinking that’s not usual considering what I do for a living, but I was thinking more on a personal level, what interest me about shops?

Why would I go into a shop in the first place?  Something I’m looking for, maybe, eye catching window displays, possibly, because it looks different (in a good way) and I’m slightly interested in what’s on offer, almost certainly!

Obviously, to get me in the shop in the first place I need some sort of incentive, but then don’t we all! Getting me inside is the first step but once I’m in what will keep me there and what lasting impression will it leave?

Without stating the obvious comfort is high up on my list and no I’m not talking about a lush sofa to flop onto but the things we don’t necessarily notice at first hand, the right temperature, not too hot, not too cold, space to move around, good lighting but it doesn’t always have to be bright as I’m partial to a bit of  light and shade, the ability to browse without feeling watched, friendly staff but not over talkative, a clear entrance/exit so I don’t feel trapped and can leave or enter at will and, of course, there needs to be a good product mix with some ingenious merchandising thrown in for added measure.

I can’t remember where I came across this image of Milla Boutique, Oslo but without thinking too much about what they sell if I came across this store on the high street I would probably go in and have a look around.  Why, because I like the space, I like the interior finishes, and that’s before I even consider what they’re selling.  Is it customer focussed?  I would say yes. 

Mobile       07907 691711 

No comments:

Post a Comment